One of the Greatest Lessons Ever Learned

I've learned plenty of lessons in my life. One of the most important though, is the one I'll stress today:

the lesson of learning how to be taught

I'm sounding cryptic, aren't I?
I'll explain
 
One of the greatest lessons I've ever learned is how to be teachable. Being teachable means humbling yourself beneath another (often more knowledgeable) person. It means that you have to admit that you don't know what they do, and that you're willing to submit and listen to them - even if they're younger. It means that even if you don't feel like listening and heeding this instruction, you're still going to. It means that even when you don't want to be taught, or if you think you already know it, you're going to let the teacher... well, teach.
That's hard for me. Even harder is when I think I should know something, and yet I don't.
But if we're not willing to be taught (and sometimes broken so that we can be re-taught the right way) what God wants us to know, how can we be used?
 
For example, if you're hiring a computer technician for (let's say) your computer business, you're not going to hire someone who thinks they know everything and won't listen to you, the boss. You're not likely to hire someone who isn't willing to learn how to fix the computers the way you want them to.
 
So really, it's more of submission to authority. It's being willing to be taught by someone else.
 
You turn things around! Shall the potter be considered as equal with the clay, that what is made would say to its maker, “He did not make me”; or what is formed say to him who formed it, “He has no understanding”?
Isaiah 29:16
 
“Woe to the one who quarrels with his Maker—
An earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth!
Will the clay say to the potter, ‘What are you doing?’
Or the thing you are making say, ‘He has no hands’?
Isaiah 45:9
But now, O Lord, You are our Father,
We are the clay, and You our potter;
And all of us are the work of Your hand.
Isaiah 64:8
If we want to be used by God, we must be pliable, like clay. We have to smother our pride in humility and let Him use us the way HE wants to use us, not the way WE want Him to use us.
 
It's not easy to be humble. It's not always easy to be teachable (especially if the teacher is a sibling). With God's help, though, nothing is impossible!
 
~ Light4theLord
To God Be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introducing... Charis Rae!

I'm so honored to be a part of Charis Rae's blog launch (a.k.a. Grace from The Girl Upstairs), and here it is!