Peter's POV

*Please note that while I tried to write this as accurately as I could, the gospels vary in their chronological orders after the resurrection and trying to follow and merge all four is rather confusing and hard to accomplish! Hope you enjoy!*
*********************************************
It was nearing the time of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, also known as the Passover. On the first day, the Teacher sent me with my fellow disciple John, saying,
                “Go and prepare the Passover for us, so that we may eat it.”
                “Where do You want us to prepare it?” we asked. He gave us a knowing smile, yet not condescendingly. He proceeded to give us specific instructions.
                “When you have entered the city, a man will meet you carrying a pitcher of water; follow him into the house that he enters. And you shall say to the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher says to you, “Where is the guest room in which I may eat the Passover with My disciples?”’ And he will show you a large furnished upper room; prepare it there.”
                Somewhat skeptically, I followed John down the dusty paths into Jerusalem. We entered through the gate and stopped.
                “We’ve entered the city,” I stated obviously. John cocked his head and gave me ‘a look’. I just grinned. We were closer than brothers, for we had spent much time together serving the Teacher. I started walking and suddenly ran right into a man carrying a jug of water.
                “I am so sorry,” I apologized profusely. He graciously forgave me, and I grabbed John.
                “We have to follow him!” And so we did. When we arrived at the large home, John searched for the owner and approached him, saying, “The Teacher says to you, ‘Where is the guest room in which I may eat the Passover with My disciples?’” The man quickly showed us a well-furnished room in the upper portion of the house, not taken by surprise, as though he knew that it was going to happen.
                When all was prepared and ready, Jesus joined us for the meal, along with our fellow disciples – all ten of them. We began eating, and while we were doing so, the Teacher took some bread from one of the dishes and said a blessing. He then broke it and began handing it out to all of us. I was surprised, especially when He said, “Take, eat; this is My body.” I was already getting used to all of the figures of speech that our Lord used, but this was one of the oddest. His body? What was that supposed to mean? He then took a cup and gave thanks for it, and passed it around to each of us.
                “Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”
                We each solemnly took of the wine and drank as He instructed us.
                He then led us in a hymn, His rich voice filling the room. We all joined in, and when we finished, He quietly took us to the Mount of Olives. We climbed up to the top and listened as our Teacher spoke to us.
                “You will all fall away because of Me this night, for it is written, ‘I WILL STRIKE DOWN THE SHEPHERD, AND THE SHEEP OF THE FLOCK SHALL BE SCATTERED.’ But after I have been raised, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.”
                I protested immediately. “Even though all may fall away because of you, I will never fall away!” I said it with conviction, and with resolve. Gently, my Lord spoke directly to me.
                “Truly I say to you, Peter, that this very night, before a rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.” I was hurt and offended, but even more so, I was determined to prove my loyalty and devotion to my Master.
                “Even if I must die with you, I will never deny You.” I clenched my fists and set my jaw. The others around me echoed my exclamation, crying out the same promise.
                Jesus just gave us a sad smile. He knew something… but what? We went to Gethsemane and He said to us, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” But He took the two sons of Zebedee and myself with Him and we observed as He began to be grieved. He turned to us, His countenance filled with distress. “My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death;” He spoke quietly but firmly. “Remain here and keep watch with Me.” He then left us and went ahead a bit further to where we could no longer see Him or hear Him. My eyes grew heavy, and I stifled a yawn. We waited a bit, but then I slowly… slowly… drifted to sleep.
                I was awakened by a voice. “So, you men could not keep watch with Me for one hour? Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Cryptic, again. I felt slightly ashamed and somewhat discouraged that He was disappointed in us. He went away, and I determined to stay awake, but the moments turned into minutes and soon a half hour had passed. I fell asleep once more.
                He arrived back and exclaimed, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Behold, the hour is at hand and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. Get up, let us be going; behold, the one who betrays Me is at hand!” As He spoke, I stiffened in alarm. A dark figure lurked in the shadows. I relaxed, however, when I saw that it was Judas. He was our friend. He came to the Teacher and exclaimed, “Hail, Rabbi!” and kissed Him. Jesus quietly murmured, “Friend, do what you have come for.” Suddenly, soldiers and slaves of the high priest rushed forward and grabbed our Master. I leaped up and drew my sword, and angrily chopped off the ear of one of the slaves. Jesus quickly turned to me and admonished my action.
                “Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword. Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels? How then will the Scriptures be fulfilled, which say that it must happen this way?”
                They dragged Him away, but I resolved to follow. And that I did – I followed Him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priests.
                I sat in the courtyard, waiting and watching, warming myself at the fire. Around me, the chief priests and the whole Council was trying to obtain testimony against Jesus; the people quickly volunteered, but their stories were so inconsistent and even contradicted one another.  My mind was formulating several plans on how I might be able to rescue my Lord. I strained my eyes and ears trying to hear or see any of the leaders and overhear their plans and verdicts. I was completely focused when a servant-girl came to me and said mockingly, “You too were with Jesus the Galilean.” I quickly retorted the statement saying, “I do not know what you are talking about.” I continued to deny her accusations. Finally, I moved away and went to the gateway to think. Another servant-girl saw me and announced to everyone, “This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.” I made an oath quickly, exclaiming, “I do not know the man!” I was angry by now. What if I got caught? What would happen to my plans? What would happen to my family? If they judged Jesus harshly, what about His followers? It would be better if I stayed in the shadows and made sure no one knew.  I merged with the crowd, but one of the bystanders approached me. I tried to act nonchalant, but he said, “Surely you too are one of them; for even the way you talk gives you away.” I angrily began to curse and swear in the crude language of the fishermen. The man quickly retracted his statement and walked away fearfully. I shouted, “I do not know the man!”
                Immediately, a rooster crowed. I froze as the Teacher’s words came back to haunt me.
                “Truly I say to you, Peter, that this very night, before a rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.”
                And what had been my reply?
                “Even if I must die with you, I will never deny You.”
                I was a traitor. A liar. I departed as hastily as I could and wept bitterly.
                “I’m sorry, my Lord!” I pleaded. “I’m sorry! Forgive me for denying You!” I prostrated myself on the ground and cried out to God.
 
                Morning came and I found myself asleep in a nearby thicket, where I was close enough to follow Jesus wherever He went. I watched stealthily as they bound him and led Him away. I followed quickly, and went to the governor’s place, where they delivered Him to the governor Pilate.
                I mingled within the crowd that had come for the governor’s feast. I knew as well as everyone else there that the governor released for the people any one prisoner whom they wanted, as was custom. Everyone gathered, and I followed.
                Pilate, in his royal robes, stood and asked the people, “Whom do you want me to release for you? Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?” I happened to be standing beside a prominent man, who was obviously one of the elders. He threatened those around him that if they did not ask for Barabbas, they would be tortured. Other leaders persuaded the crowds in the same manner or with bribery. I refused to move from my stand.
                Everyone around me started shouting, “Barabbas! Barabbas! Barabbas!” But I stood where I was and yelled as loudly as I could, “Jesus! Jesus!” My voice was lost in the crowd.
                “What shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” Pilate questioned.
                “Crucify Him! Crucify Him!” the crowds screamed. Pilate attempted to ask, “What evil has He done?” but they continued to shout and yell, “Crucify Him! Crucify Him!” The words were like hammers to my ears, pounding and resounding.
                “No!” I shouted. Then I was trampled by the riot.
 
                As soon as I recovered and made my way through the riot and into the streets, I begged of people to tell me where the crucifixion was going to take place. An old woman selling fruit croaked, “They took Him to Golgotha. They took Simon of Cyrene to bear His cross because He was too weak.” I thanked her profusely and bought some of her produce to show my gratefulness. I ran and ran until I nearly collapsed at the Place of the Skull. When I looked up, my heart wrenched. Hanging on a crude and sharp wooden cross was my Teacher. My Master. My Lord.
                Why? Why had they so unjustly crucified Him? I could not watch any longer as His cries of agony pierced the thick and heavy air. I returned to my home, mourning.
                The Sabbath passed like any other day, and I obtained information that Jesus had died, and was buried in a tomb of someone named Joseph, from Arimathea.
                The first day of the week came. I had just risen and was trying to find something to do. How could I take my mind of His death? I couldn’t. Suddenly, a pounding was heard at my door. Was it soldiers coming to take me away? I shook the thought off and went to answer it. Standing at the door was a woman whom the Lord had healed of seven demons, Mary Magdalene.
                “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.” She was crying, yet she ran to John’s nearby abode and beckoned him to come also. We followed her to a garden, and followed her as she ran down the path. She pointed to a large rock which had been rolled away from the entrance of a tomb. I ran ahead with John, but he got there first. He stood there numbly, just looking in. When I arrived at the entrance, I thrust him aside and entered the tomb. The linen wrappings were merely lying there, and separated from those was the face cloth. John entered silently behind me and he saw it also.
                What had happened? I shook my head in disbelief and returned to my home.
                Only an hour later, I heard the same pounding on the door.
                “The Lord! He has risen!” she exclaimed, and a nearby woman who was named Joanna echoed, “He has risen indeed!”
                Mary continued. “I have seen the Lord, and He has said to tell you, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’ The angel that I saw who was dressed in dazzling white clothing also spoke to me, saying, ‘Remember how He spoke to you while He was still in Galilee, saying that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified and the third day rise again.’”
                I was in shock. All of this was happening too fast to even process. I met all of the disciples (with the exception of Thomas) that evening, and we all sat in fear with the doors locked and shut for fear of the Jews.
                We silently were huddled over a table when we all heard a familiar voice.
                “Peace be with you.” I turned quickly and leaped up.
                “My Lord!” I exclaimed, rejoicing in my heart. The others were startled and frightened, as though they were seeing a spirit of some sort. He spoke to all of us.
                “Peace be with you;” He said again, but continued this time. “As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.”
“These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled. Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things.”
Only a little longer than a week later, He appeared once more to us, but this time Thomas was there. Previously, when we had told him that we had seen the Lord, he had stubbornly insisted, “Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
“Peace be with you.” Jesus spoke calmly, then turned to Thomas. “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
Thomas trembled and spoke, “My Lord and my God!”
“Because you have seen Me, have you believed?” Jesus asked. “Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.” I lowered my head at this. I had also hardened my heart against those who had said they had seen the Lord before I did.
Later, at the mountain which Jesus had designated, He commissioned us as follows:
“All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Introducing... Charis Rae!

I'm so honored to be a part of Charis Rae's blog launch (a.k.a. Grace from The Girl Upstairs), and here it is!