Our Revenge, No Longer Ours


Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY,” says the Lord. “BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

~ Romans 12: 17-21 ~
Has anyone ever done something to you that you wanted to 'get back' at them for? Of course someone has! Everyone encounters this sometime during their life. For me, it's many sometimes. A few days ago, someone locked me out of one of my school accounts that I needed, and they wouldn't tell me the password. Finally, when that person did, I was behind schedule. It was very frustrating. The thing was, I could've doubly gotten back because I could delete their account. I didn't. I kept repeating to myself, "Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God." Over and over, I said that (whispered it to myself) to calm me down.
Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men.
The key words here are 'to anyone' and 'all men'.
 God sees the big picture, for He created it. We can't always see the whole picture. He is a just God, and He will punish evil in due time. It is not our job to judge others and repay them for their evil deeds.
 
If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
 
What I really want to say right now is, "Do I have to?" :D Having siblings is both aggravating and a blessing. I mean, I feel sorry for people who don't have immediate playmates (or debate enemies...)! :) But really, it does depend a lot on us. It takes two to argue (try arguing with a wall!), two to fight over something (otherwise, if it's just one, they get it. Duh!) and if we would follow Christ's example and stay quiet and humble, it would probably solve a lot of problems.
For me, it's especially tricky when people are mad, because I have the urge to use my, ahem, special talent (of annoying them in a way where I won't get in trouble. It's a useful tactic, but a harmful and horrid one.) on them. I can come up with smart alecky comebacks, and I have to refrain myself a lot of times. I'm working on that.
 
Never take your own revenge beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God,
 
Again, "Do I have to?" It's hard not to take revenge on someone who has done something to you! (Anyone who thinks of the Kendrick brothers while reading this verse - I feel you! #wrathofGod) God is the Judge of the Supreme Court (and I don't mean U.S. government. I mean the heavenly Supreme Court).
for it is written, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY,” says the Lord.
Thankfully, He's also a forgiving God! :D
BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD.”
I've just gotta say that it IS pretty hard to have an enemy when your so-called enemy is giving you food when you're hungry (not poisoned food, that is), water when you're dreadfully thirsty (un-poisoned water, of course), and helping you. How is that an enemy? To me, that's a description of a friend. More than likely, if someone you've been treating like an enemy treats you like a friend, it makes you feel badly.
 
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Precisely. Today this is what I'll work on - whenever someone is mean to me, I'll go out of my way to make their day better. I'll try to, that is!
Which verse will you work on today?
~ Light4theLord
To God be the Glory!
 

1 comment:

  1. It's true about siblings! I feel like that too about siblings!

    ReplyDelete

Introducing... Charis Rae!

I'm so honored to be a part of Charis Rae's blog launch (a.k.a. Grace from The Girl Upstairs), and here it is!