Applause of Our Audience

For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.
Galatians 1:10
 
The passage for today is short, but is pretty hard to live out. Several other cross-references to this verse will be added below, so don't worry, it's not just this one verse!
I struggle with having a fear of disappointing people. I hate disappointing anyone. It's hard, because I'm two grades ahead, and lots of people have high expectations of me. I don't mind high expectations (I actually love setting high goals), but I sometimes am fearful of not fulfilling those expectations and disappointing that person.
If we are seeking the favor of men, and striving to please men, we cannot be servants of God as well.
No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.
Matthew 6:24
It is true that no one can serve two masters. Our lives cannot have two authorities. God is a jealous God, and He will not stand to share our lives with the world. We can't be half-hearted servants for God. It's either our all, or nothing.
Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father but is from the world. The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.
1 John 2:15-17
 
We cannot love the world, and love God. To quote my favorite book other than the Bible (Light of the Last by Chuck Black - a.m.a.z.i.n.g. page 226) when Drew (the main character) is questioning the angel (Validus), "How can I know you are real.. and an angel?" (You have to read the whole book to completely understand) Validus then replied, "This world is temporary, ours is eternal. Which one do you suppose is more real?"
Precisely.
The things of this world, the lust of the flesh and the eyes and boastful pride, is not from God. It is of the world. As John wrote in 1 John (the above passage), "The world is passing away... but the one who does the will of God lives forever."
Which world is more real?
John goes on further to tell us something else that is very important,
Do not be surprised, brethren, if the world hates you. - 1 John 3:13
because....
If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you. – John 15:18-19
Satan doesn't want us to follow God. Satan wants to tempt us into being one of the world's. The world hated Jesus before it hated us.
Christians across the world are persecuted why? Because they have chosen to follow and serve Christ instead of the world. If they were of the world, the world would love them. But because they are not of the world, and have chosen to follow Christ instead, the world hates them.
 
 
The thing that comes to mind is this song, Audience of One:
(lyrics credit to the writer)
It’s such a strong temptation to live for man’s applause, but I don’t want to buy into the lie ‘cause I know that’s not a worthy cause. So to keep things in perspective, I hung a sign up on the wall. The sign is nothing special, but it really says it all. And the sign says,
I’ll be content to serve an audience of One. Only His approval counts when all is said and done. And this is my prayer, when the race is finally run, I want to hear “Well Done” from the audience of One.
When the drive for recognition starts to get the best of me, I’ll I’ve got to do is look around at the people serving selflessly, and they don’t serve for glory and they’re not keeping score. There’s a sign that’s written on their hearts, a sign I’ve seen before.
I’ll be content to serve an audience of One. Only His approval counts when all is said and done. And this is my prayer, when the race is finally run, I want to hear “Well Done” from the audience of One.
In the not-too-distant future, when the crowds all fade away, I’ll stand alone before my Lord, and this is what I long to say:
I’m overjoyed to serve an audience of One. It’s what I’ve been created for ever since day one. And this is my song, as I bow before Your throne, I love to hear “Well Done” from the audience of One.
So this will be my prayer, ’til the race is finally run. I want to hear “Well done” I long to hear “Well done” I want to hear “Well done” from the audience of One.
 
It's such an amazing song. I love it! It really says it - when we long for recognition from men, praise from others, and approval from the world, we really should be looking for HIS approval.
So, whose approval are you seeking today?
~ Light4theLord
To God Be the Glory!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introducing... Charis Rae!

I'm so honored to be a part of Charis Rae's blog launch (a.k.a. Grace from The Girl Upstairs), and here it is!